Me with my lovely wife, Kathy:

Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Continuing Thoughts on Songs to be Sung on the Journey from Distress to Peace, Psalms 120-134

 Yesterday, with some help from Anne Murray, I posted the first of some thoughts and impressions about the fifteen songs in the Book of Psalms known as the "Songs (or Psalms) of Ascent." They are traveling songs. They were sung by Jewish pilgrims making their way to Jerusalem for the feasts that were a central part of their worship. I am continuing to think about these Psalms, today.

As I survey these fifteen songs I see some principles that not only guided these pilgrims from distress to soul-satisfying worship but can serve as directions for we 21st Century travelers on our own weary way. I won't do much more than bullet-point these. I plan to share two more brief posts on these beautiful songs.

  • An old proverb says that a journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step. There is a desperation-driven deliberateness in these Psalms. I spend way too much of my life in indecisive dithering. The words of Psalm 120:1 challenge me, "I called on the LORD." It reminds me of Hezekiah, who spread his problem out before the Lord, or Daniel, who in spite of the King's edict bowed in prayer. Take that first step. Start the journey toward God. 
  • That first step may be frightening to contemplate, but, looking back on it brought joy to the Psalmist's heart. It certainly has for me. I believe it will for you.

  • These Psalms contain a clear realization that life brings issues that are beyond us. God-sized problems require God-sized solutions. Psalm 121 says this with power and beauty. Psalm 123 takes a look into a home of the day. A servant had no source of aid other than from his master, or a maidservant from her mistress. (see here) We may not know it, I too often don't admit it, but we are all likewise dependent on our Master.  

  • Indeed, Psalms 124-128 are sort of testimonies about those who have taken this first step of trust and continued on the journey. It was a trip they didn't regret.
    "
    If it had not been the LORD who was on our side" we would have been consumed by our problems. But, "Our help is in the name of the LORD, who made heaven and earth." (see here)
    Psalm 127 makes clear that there are no substitutes. All other efforts will fail.

  • David depended on God's promise. These pilgrims were following David in the way. It is a path I recommend.

I encourage you to take the time to read Psalms 120-134. It's sort of like entering the destination in your phone and clicking on the "Direction" button. It'll help you get there.

We'll consider more tomorrow.

No comments: