Me with my lovely wife, Kathy:

Thursday, June 24, 2021

No, Mam, I'm not an Angel. I Just Have a T-shirt

 Hebrews 13:2 says, "Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares."

This morning I was attempting to be hospitable and might--for at least a fleeting moment--been mistaken for an angel. I was unaware. I was walking out of Walmart. My items fit into a bag that was easily carried, so I was putting my buggy back in the cart corral, just inside the entrance. A lady, prime kids-at-home age was arriving as I was leaving. The carts were doing what they always do when you're in hurry--they stubbornly remained attached to the rest of the carts in the row. She looked like she was in a hurry when she yanked on the cart nearest to her. Young moms are almost always in a hurry. 

Dilemma: I'm old enough to remember when this wasn't an issue, but, "Will she take offense if I try to help?" I hesitated a moment, but then she yanked on the first-in-line buggy in the next row. It likewise refused to cooperate. I'm about a foot taller than the frustrated lady, so I figured I could use that as an explanation if I needed one--I'm taller. "I guess pulling from an upper direction freed the stupid thing." So prepared with my defense against, "I don't need a man to help me" type of feminism. I raised the back-gate on the cart, gave it a couple of severe jerks, and was relieved to see it roll free.

I'm sure the lady wasn't in distress, but she did need a shopping cart to get her shopping done. She very nicely said, "Thanks."

Then she looked at me with a smile and kind of chuckled. She looked like she was about to say something, but, as I said, young moms are almost always in a hurry, and, truth be told, I needed to be on my way. Maybe she figured that, so with the smile still on her face she pushed the cart in the direction of the family supper.

Out in the parking lot, the not distressed but in need of a cart woman's amusement suddenly made sense. I was privileged to serve, for a while, at Pacific Islands University, a tiny school on the island of Guam. A couple of years ago, a group from Pingalap, one of the atolls that make up the State of Pohnpei, which in turn is one of the states of the Federated States of Micronesia (all needless information, but I thought you would be amused). Anyhow this group of Pingalapese was using our campus for a retreat for their group of churches. Since I was in charge that day, the group gave gifts to my wife and me. Included in the gift bag was a t-shirt that says, "Holy Angels" on the front. I happened to have that shirt on this morning.

Mam, if this happens to come your way, please know, I walk, drive a car, or ride a bike--no wings. I was just trying to be kind. I really don't know why those words are on that shirt. I wasn't given an explanation. Anyhow, I hope your shopping was successful.

To the rest of you:
The word "angel" means messenger. On at least one occasion in the Bible, "angel" likely refers to a human. John addressed the seven letters in Revelation 2 to the seven angels of the seven churches. I agree with a common view of this passage that the "angel" of each church was the pastor of that congregation. Pastor or not, all of us have been, to quote the Blues Brothers, sent on a "mission by God." We are messengers. Our messages are often communicated by actions rather than words--I don't think I said anything to the woman heading into Walmart. I hope the message of kindness came through. God cares about people wrestling with stubborn grocery carts. Getting a grocery cart unstuck doesn't sound very angelic, but I think it is exactly what I should have done this morning, especially since I was wearing an angelic shirt. I'd like to think Gabriel and the guys are proud of me.


No comments: