Me with my lovely wife, Kathy:

Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Psalms of Confidence: Do you really believe what you say you believe?

Sunday, I had the privilege of teaching Sunday School at Faith Presbyterian Christian Reformed Church, our church, here, on Guam. We are doing a study on the Book of Psalms. Sunday's class was built around a video of a lecture on Psalm 11 delivered, by Dr. Godfrey at Ligonier Fellowship. If you are interested you can purchase the video from Ligonier.
You can read Psalm 11 here.

As is often the case, I didn't get done with what I hoped to say. In case any of my classmates are interested in some follow-up and for the benefit of all, here is some of what remained on my iPad at the end of class.

Psalm 11is according to The Light of the Psalms, by  Michael Ross, a “Psalm of Trust.”  He identifies six other Psalms as Psalms of trust, or as they are sometimes called Confidence Psalms. 

Psalms 11, 16, 23, 27, 63, 73, and 91 all begin with a basic Theological truth about God. These are concepts that we don't have trouble affirming when the sun is shining. When the dark clouds of life roll in, however, we tend to say, "Maybe not today." In brief, bullet-point fashion, here are the realities about God found in the opening statements of these Psalms of Trust.


  • Psalm 11, begins with the Lord as David's refuge. That thought also is part of the opening of Psalms 16, and 91. In 27 we find a similar word, "stronghold." When I checked, I saw that the alternative translation is "refuge."
  • Psalm 16:8 is a deliberate action. It is the kind of response Col. 3:1 calls for, "seek the things above." David makes the Lord the center of his thoughts, as his descendant would later command. "Seek first the kingdom of God."
  • Psalm 23, the most familiar of the Psalms begins with the comforting truth, "The Lord is Shepherd." It goes on to enumerate the benefits that come to a sheep in His flock.
  • Psalm 27, is a vastly different picture from the pastoral scene of the Shepherd Psalm. God is my stronghold, my defense.
  • When David  looks at God in Psalm 63, he sees him as "My God." He is not just an abstract concept. David longs for God. God is personal. David's relationship with Him is a personal relationship.
  • I call Psalm 73 one of the "slippery place" Psalms. Asaph is desperately holding on to the truth, "Surely God is good to Israel, To those who are pure in heart!"
  • Psalm 91 begins with a summary of what we have already seen. The Psalmist begins with a combination of military security and personal trust.
A definition of Theology that I sometimes use, is, "It is an over-arching philosophy of life that puts God in the proper place." These Psalms sit us down and ask us the hard question, "Do you really believe what you say you believe?" In each of these Psalms there is a wave of dissonance that comes in. Dr. Godfrey makes this clear. In the here-and-now it doesn't look like God is Who He says He is. The question hangs in the air, "Is He?"

It's in verse 4 of Psalm 11 that David anchors his soul. As in a concert the momentary dissonance draws attention to the resolution when it comes. In these Psalms the present reality--honestly, even brutally expressed--provides the dark background that shows the brilliance of the truth even more vividly.
  • In spite of what's going on right now, the "Lord is in His holy temple." Ps 11
  • The "Lord is my chosen portion." Ps 16
  • The shadow of death and the evil around me are no match for the Shepherd's rod and staff. Ps 23
  • David's confidence is not because of, but in spite of his circumstances. Ps 27
  • Like the Apostle Paul a millennium later, David does the arithmatic. "Your lovingkindness is better than life." Ps 63 & Phil 1:21
  • In Psalm 91 is extravagant in it's reassurance. It is like a crecendoing tympany that keeps on rising.
  • Psalm 73 is my personal favorite, for putting things right. The hinge-pin of the Psalm is a trip to the sanctuary (73:17). True worship is therapeutic. It sets the bones of our soul straight.

Perhaps at the beginning of these trust Psalms, we could accuse the writers of whistling in the dark. By the end, though, they have wrestled in the mud with demons within and without. Each of these Psalms ends with triumphant confidence. 

For the Lord is righteous; he loves righteous deeds; the upright shall behold his face.” (Psalm 11:7, ESV)  
You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.” (Psalm 16:11, ESV) 
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.” (Psalm 23:6, ESV)
I believe that I shall look upon the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living! Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord!” (Psalm 27:13–14, ESV)  
   “But those who seek to destroy my life shall go down into the depths of the earth; they shall be given over to the power of the sword; they shall be a portion for jackals. But the king shall rejoice in God; all who swear by him shall exult, for the mouths of liars will be stopped.” (Psalm 63:9–11, ESV)  
Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.” (Psalm 73:25–26, ESV)
"I will . . . show him My salvation." (Psalm 91:16)

God is Who He says He is. Go live like it.

No comments: