Me with my lovely wife, Kathy:

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Did Calvin Really Say . . .?

As both of you, who regularly read this blog, know, I have been thinking intermittently about cessationism over the past few months.  If  you scroll down you will spot some of these posts.  I have used my air-dyne time to listen to several of the Strange Fire messages.  Joni Tada is awesome, but I digress.  I just listened to (I can still feel my heart pumping) a message by Steve Lawson, Calvin's Critique of Charismatic Calvinists. http://www.gty.org/resources/sermons/TM13-4/calvins-critique-of-charismatic-calvinists-steve-lawson
You will find  audio, video, and transcript of the message there.

I know some of you will quote a paraphrase of words once spoken about Jesus, "Can any good thing come out of GTY, or the Strange Fire Conference.  If that is the case with you, probably it would be best for our friendship if you just quit reading now.  Really, the purpose of this post is not to argue yay or nay about this message, or even cessationism or continuationism.  I'd be glad to discuss that on another occassion.  I am interested in some help.  My knowledge of Calvin is very rudimentary.  In this message Lawson quotes from Calvin, and summarizes him extensively.  Perhaps those of you who know the Theologian from Geneva well could help me out.  Is Lawson giving a fair representation of Calvin's teaching on this matter?  If he isn't perhaps you would be good enough to point me in the right direction in Calvin's works.

Blessings on you, and thinks for reading, and even more thanks if you  respond.

No comments: