Me with my lovely wife, Kathy:

Friday, January 18, 2013

Using my stuff well:



These are some thoughts I put together for a devotional program our church is following:

“It is good to work and have. It is better to work and have in order to give…The health, wealth, and prosperity ‘gospel’ swallows up the beauty of Christ in the beauty of  his gifts and turns the gifts into idols. The world is not impressed when Christians get rich and say thanks to God. They are impressed when God is so satisfying that we give our riches away for Christ’s sake and count it gain.”
       p. 72, “Don’t Waste Your Life“, John Piper

Here are some questions I put together a while back to help us interact with the truth in 1 Timothy 6:
Can I say that I am content with such things as I have because I
know God will never forsake me?  (Hebrews 13:5-6)

Is the focus of my life reflective of the Lord’s words, “Seek first 
the Kingdom of God . . . ?”

Is my Confidence placed the same place as the rich fool in Luke 12?  Do I know to whom this stuff will belong tomorrow?

What should I do with what I have?  Does the way I use my stuff reflect a life of selfishness or worship?
I am to use what God has given me not only for my enjoyment, but to be rich in good works.  That leads to true contentment

No comments: