Me with my lovely wife, Kathy:

Monday, March 5, 2012

Blessed Are the Peacemakers,

Blessed are the peacemakers, but it doesn't pay so good.

I'm reminded of a comment from my Uncle Mc.  "If you are going to break up a dogfight you better have a big stick."  Thanks, Unc.  That has kept me from getting bitten more than once.  You, readers, do know that human bites are much nastier than canine ones, don't you?

Frequently those who get into the peacemaking business, only end up uniting the warring factions on one point--both agree that their pacifistic (former) friend ought to but-out and mind his own business. 

Some friends of mine were recently on a couple of peace-making missions.  I'm glad to say that their efforts, at least in one case, show some promise of success.  I don't mention their names, nor identify the belligerents, because I don't want to undermine their efforts.  (They know who they are.  My intent is to encourage them, so, guys, when you read this be encouraged.  Furthermore, if you are an ignored, or maligned peacemaker--and most are--that I don't know, I hope this will encourage your efforts and spirit.)  My friends spent considerable time understanding the situations, then talking to each side individually, and brokering, or attempting to do so, meetings between the two sides.  They pressed the Biblical truth that peace is good.  We might not--in fact I'm sure we don't--get all the Old Testament Jewish allusions in this Psalm, but still we can see that peace is good.
Psalm 133
The Excellency of Brotherly Unity.
    A Song of Ascents, of David. 1 Behold, how good and how pleasant it is
For brothers to dwell together in unity!
2 It is like the precious oil upon the head,
Coming down upon the beard,
Even Aaron’s beard,
Coming down upon the edge of his robes.
3 It is like the dew of Hermon
Coming down upon the mountains of Zion;
For there the LORD commanded the blessing—life forever.
 My friends were miles from Hermon--and I will reveal that none of them are named "Herman"--but if their attempts at peacemaking yield fruit it will be "good and pleasant."  I'm praying it will be so.

The other end of the Lord's beatitude about peacemakers is "they shall be called sons of God."  James and John were called "Sons of Thunder" because of their thunderous ways.  The "sons of the prophets" were disciples of Elijah and Elisha.  They learned from them and learned, at least in some ways, to be like them.  In Luke 10:6 a peaceful man is called a "son of peace."  While the worthlessness of Eli's sons, and some other "worthless fellows, was indicated by the title "son's of Belial." Belial basically meaning worthless.  In this since we are sons of something or someone when we exhibit the distinctive quality of the father.

It reminds me of a plumber's truck that I heard about.  On one side it said:

Joe Jones & son
Plumbing Contractor
The sign on the other side of the vehicle read
Joe Jones Jr. & dad
Plumbing Contractor

When one thinks highly of his father it is a privilege to be in the same business as dad.  Even in my case, though I followed a different career path than my dad, I very much want to exhibit the sterling qualities that I remember seeing in him.  Don't miss this:

When I am involved in peacemaking.  I am involved in my Father's business.
 
So, guys, I know that peacemaking often doesn't pay well.  Frequently, as my Uncle's homey proverb indicates, it will earn one a bite on the leg, or worse.  Just know this:  It is a task that is worth doing.  If you don't get anything else--and if your attitudes are what they appear to be, I know that before the Bema Seat (here, & here) you will get a great deal more--I offer you this.

You done good!
   

No comments: