Me with my lovely wife, Kathy:

Monday, March 22, 2010

When I got up this morning my health was not significantly different than it was last night when I went to bed. My knees are still a little stiff--not bad, though, for an old guy who wrestled, jogged, skied, and in other ways used them fairly hard. Though I haven't checked, I assume that my cholesterol still tends high. I took my meds. My gutter still needed fixing, and last night's storm caused some water to leak in my basement. I don't want to diminish the importance of last night's "historic," "precedent setting," and "breaking" legislation.
But more important than my knees, and blood-stream and anything that happened in any capital last night, God is still on the throne. The Lord Who gave comfort to the Jews in Exile in Assyria and Babylon, Who encouraged the Maccabees as they fought the Greeks--elephants and all--Who kept the early Christians calm as they faced lions in the arena, and gave courage to Wycliffe, Luther, Huss, and thousands of modern Christians who stand firm in hard-times, is still on the throne.

Yes, write your congressman, vote to "throw the rascals out," or keep the less rascally in, but don't forget the source of our real security.

I've been thinking about hope--Easter is coming. There is hope on this side of the cross, no matter what congress does or doesn't do.

No comments: