Me with my lovely wife, Kathy:

Friday, March 12, 2010

Just, Don't Bother Me. Radical Independence:

There has never been a time in the history of mankind when we have not resisted the obligations that come to us because of relationships. Cain plaintively, and probably angrily, asked, "Am I my brother's keeper?"
I see the question/objection being posed louder and more frequently, than ever.
Each of us are in a variety of relationships--family, work, church, teams, friendships, citizenship, etc. To one degree or another we all gain benefits from these circles of connection.
I'd appreciate your input on this matter, but it appears to me that there is a growing unwillingness in our culture to allow those various interconnections to meaningfully affect the life we live. It's as if we join the "Ford Drivers Club" so we can enjoy the good times, but then get terribly upset when one of our fellow "Fordies" questions our decision to buy a new Chevy.
It shouldn't surprise you, since my life is very tied up in the church, but I see it clearly in the way people regard their relationship to the community of faith. "Church should comfort and encourage me, never confront me."
My post on February 4, a review of the book Sex and the iWorld, speaks to this point, as well.
Like I say, I'd like to hear what you have to say.

No comments: