Me with my lovely wife, Kathy:

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Some thoughts early in "Holy Week"

I just read the Newsweek cover story,
"The End of Christian America
The percentage of self-identified Christians has fallen 10 points in the past two decades. How that statistic explains who we are now—and what, as a nation, we are about to become"
http://www.newsweek.com/id/192583/page/1
And Al Mohler's comments, http://www.albertmohler.com/blog.php

Dr. Mohler's comments are particularly germane because he figures prominently in the article itself. If you read it you'll understand what I mean.

I have neither the time nor the interest to dissect, analyze, and perhaps refute the Newsweek article. I would say that in many ways I think it is true. Our recent election, and our culture's flow away from the kind of ethical/moral standards taught in the Bible do clearly show a declining influence of Christianity in our culture--particularly in the USA.

As I read Meacham's article I was struck with the fact that there is much about Christianity that he doesn't get. I can't really blame him. Meacham states, "Evangelical Christians have long believed that the United States should be a nation whose political life is based upon and governed by their interpretation of biblical and theological principles." I fear that too many of us Bible believing Christians have given those around us this idea that the article articulates--that Biblical Christianity is primarily a political force. (It is clear in the article that this is not the exclusive view that Meacham sees.) The root of the name "Evangelical" is not political. The word refers to the good news of the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ. In the words of the old gospel song it is time that God's people were reminded that, "This world is not my home. I'm just a passin' through . . ."

Anyhow, both articles are worth the time it takes to read them.

Not unrelated:
  • I just had a conversation yesterday with a marvelously articulate 9 year old who wants t be baptized to declare her faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. No sign of the end of Christianity in her life.
  • I have an ongoing communication with a young man who though raised in the church spent much of his energy as a teen and an adult avoiding Christianity's implications on his life. Our chief topic of conversation recently has been studying the Bible. A few minutes ago, at his request, I sent him some information on some serious, grown-up Bible-study tools. Christianity is not losing its influence on this young man's life, or his family.

I have been encouraging you to walk with the Lord through the last events of His earthly life on this week before Easter. (if you go to covingtonbiblechurch.org and click on devotional aids and then click Easter Reading, you'll find what I'm talking about.) As Kathy and I read the first part of the compilation last night, I was struck with how much the Apostles didn't get it. Here they were squabbling over first place, and in pride resisting taking the role of servant, when our Lord took the towel and washed their feet.

The way of the cross has never been a way to political power in this world. It is the way of the cross.

No comments: