It is very much Christmas at the Merrell household.
Let me not take anything for granted.
Christmas is significant because it reminds us of an incredible & essential Divine act. In brief:
- This world--that would be all of us--have a serious problem. God said don't and we did. He said do and we didn't. In terms that the average child can understand, that is what sin is. There is a whole lot of Theology to be explored here, but here it simply:
Do you always do what you know you should, and refrain from doing what you know you shouldn't? If you give the answer I think you will then you agree with God's word. All of us have sinned, Romans 3:23.
- Sin has consequences. Romans 6:23 points out that the result of sin is death. That is death in it's fullest sense--Hell.
- Here is where it gets to Christmas. God always had a plan. The plan involved God the Son coming to earth to die as the substitute for us. The Babe in the manger is visible beginning of that process. The shadow of the cross falls across the manger.
- Because Jesus grew up and died on the cross in our place and then came forth from the grave in victory over death, He is able to offer us new life in Him. (2 Corinthians 5:17 & 21, John 3:16, Romans 5:6-8, Romans 10:9)
- Here is the greatest Christmas gift. Have you accepted it as your own?
Enjoy friends and family. But more than all else, trust the Lord of Christmas as your Savior.