Me with my lovely wife, Kathy:

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

One of the clearly bad aspects of my culture--or perhaps what my culture is becoming--is the evasion of responsibility that can be seen everywhere, from the schoolroom, to the boardroom. It's all about finding someone to blame so that we don't ever have to take the blame. There are of course many negative aspects to this attitude, perhaps the most ironic is that in denying personal responsibility we strip our self of any power. I am so pitiful that I can't even mess things up myself.
Perhaps it is one version of that strange principle that Jesus stated on several occasions. Here is one example: ""For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake and the gospel’s will save it." (Mk 8:35, NASB95) In avoiding blame we think that we are saving ourselves. By evading responsibility we lose our significance.
Today's Something to Think About tells about a man who bucked the trend and said, "I did it." By owning up to his own responsibility Daniel Naulty became far more powerful than any steroid could make him.

No comments: